This velvety cake is drenched in coconut milk and topped with poached peaches. This recipe first appeared in our May 2011 issue, with the article Mexico Feeds Me.
- Unsalted butter, for greasing pan
- 1 cup flour, plus more for pan
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp. coconut-flavored rum
- 1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (13.5-oz.) can coconut milk
- 1 (12-oz.) can evaporated milk
- Poached peaches in syrup, cut into eighths, to garnish
Heat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 9″ springform pan; set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat sugar and eggs on high speed until tripled in volume, pale, and thick, about 12 minutes. Add flour and gently fold with a rubber spatula until just combined; pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Let cool.
In a large pitcher, whisk together rum and condensed, coconut, and evaporated milks. Pierce cake all over with a toothpick and slowly drizzle milk mixture over top. Chill until milks are completely absorbed, about 4 hours or overnight. To serve, slice into wedges and top with a poached peach wedge.