Patacón Maracucho (Fried Plantain Sandwich)
This Venezuelan specialty is sandwiched between two slices of crispy fried plantain.
Yield: serves 1
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 unripe plantain, peeled and halved crosswise
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 sprigs cilantro
- 1⁄2 avocado, pitted and peeled
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded roast chicken
- 2 leaves green-leaf lettuce
- 2 slices tomato
- Heat oil in a 10" skillet over medium–high heat. Add plantain halves and fry, turning once, until light brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and split each plantain in half lengthwise, keeping them hinged on the inward–curved side. Place on cutting board cut sides down and, using a plate, flatten each into a ¼″–thick round disk. One at a time, return each plantain disk to the oil and fry, turning once, until crisp and golden brown, about 4 minutes. Using tongs, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Purée mayonnaise, cilantro, and avocado in a food processor until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a medium bowl and add chicken; toss to coat. Place chicken mixture on one plantain disk and top with lettuce and tomato. Cover with remaining disk.