Poppy Seed Dressing
Popularized by Texas cookbook author Helen Corbitt in the 1950s, this sweet-tart vinaigrette, enriched with poppy seeds, is perfect for a salad of butter lettuce. This recipe first appeared in our April 2012 issue along with Gabriella Gershenson’s story Flower Power.
- 2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. dry mustard powder
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, finely grated, juice reserved
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Heat a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Add poppy seeds, and cook, swirling pan constantly, until lightly toasted and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add sugar, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, and onion with juice, and cook, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture begins to simmer. Remove from heat and transfer to a blender. Add both oils, and blend until smooth; chill.