Pot Pie Pastry
Savory pie needs a substantial pastry, such as this one, adapted from James Beard's American Cookery.
Yield: makes 1 Double Crust
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 lb. chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chilled shortening
- Sift flour and salt into a medium bowl. Add butter and shortening, and cut into flour with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 4–5 tbsp. ice water, until dough just holds together.
- Divide into 2 uneven balls: two-thirds for the bottom crust and one-third for the top. Pat each into a disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 1 hour to allow the dough to rest.
- Roll out on a floured surface to fit a 9″ pie pan. Fill and bake according to pot pie recipe.