This garlicky puree of olive oil, almonds, and potatoes hails from Greece.
Yield: makes 2 Cups
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and cut into 1″ cubes
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup ground blanched almonds
- 8 cloves garlic, smashed and minced into a paste
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Put potatoes into a 2-qt. saucepan and add enough salted water to cover by 1″. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; transfer to a bowl.
- Mash potatoes until smooth; stir in almonds and garlic. Add oil, then vinegar, in a thin stream while whisking vigorously; season with salt.
- Skordalia will keep, refrigerated and covered, for up to 4 days.