Potted Foie Gras with Black Truffles
(Foie Gras Souvarov)
The term Souvarov (or "Souvaroff") implies the presence of foie gras and truffles.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 2 (1 1/2-lb.) lobes fresh duck foie gras
- Salt, preferably fleur de sel, and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp. armagnac
- 1 cup demi-glace
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>2</sub> cup flour
- 2 oz. fresh or thawed frozen black winter truffles, thinly sliced
- 1 baguette, sliced
- Put foie gras lobes into a dish just large enough to hold them snugly, generously season all over with salt and pepper, then drizzle with armagnac. Cover with plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator to let marinate for 12–24 hours. Remove foie gras from refrigerator and set aside to let come to room temperature, 3–4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Put demi-glace into a 12-cup ovenproof earthenware pot or terrine (with lid) large enough to fit lobes snugly side by side and set aside. Mix flour and 1⁄2 cup water together in a medium bowl, transfer to a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Roll dough into a rope long enough to wrap around rim of pot or terrine (about 24" long) and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, then carefully sear foie gras until lightly browned on each side, about 1 minute per side. Transfer lobes to pot or terrine and add truffles. Cover with lid and wrap dough around rim, pressing dough into crevices to seal. Transfer to oven and bake for 25–30 minutes. Remove from oven, break dough seal around pot or terrine with a fork, and pry off lid.
- To serve, bring pot or terrine to the table. Transfer foie gras lobes to a platter and thickly slice. Serve 2-3 slices of foie gras to each guest, spooning some of the truffles and sauce on top. Pass baguettes slices around for each guest to eat with the foie gras and truffles.
MORE TO READ
Don’t Fear the Dinner Party: Toasting Romy Gill’s Cookbook from Home
Recipes, Tricks, and Tips for Hosting a Himalayan-Inspired Vegetarian Feast.
Watermelon Gin Punch with Himalayan Salt
Elegant black tea and botanical flavors round out this pretty party punch.