In this simple, elegant salad, a staple of SAVEUR web editor Helen Rosner's Thanksgiving table, the spicy flavor of thinly sliced raw kale is offset by creamy pecorino cheese, bright lemon, and sweet-tart dried currants. You can substitute parmesan or Grana Padano, if that's what's on hand.
- 16 cups very thinly sliced curly kale (from about 1 pound, stems removed)
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup dried currants
- 1⁄2 cup Pecorino-Romano cheese, finely shredded (about 2 oz.)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. fresh-ground black pepper
In a large serving bowl, combine all ingredients. Toss thoroughly to combine, and allow to rest 5-10 minutes. Toss thoroughly again before serving, adding more cheese, salt, or pepper, if desired.