Those tiny capers called nonpareilles are too subtle for this multipurpose Italian-style sauce. Look instead for large salt-packed capers from Pantelleria.
- 1⁄2 cup capers
- 3 large fresh tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 anchovy filets, minced
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley or basil, roughly chopped (optional)
Soak capers in water for 15 minutes, changing water once or twice. Rinse well, roughly chop, and place in a large bowl.
Add tomatoes, garlic, anchovies, and olive oil. Mix together and season to taste with pepper. Let stand for at least 1 hour to allow flavors to develop.
Discard garlic. If desired, add parsley or basil. Serve on hot pasta, toasted Italian bread, grilled fish, or vegetables. (Sauce becomes saltier if left overnight.)