Those tiny capers called nonpareilles are too subtle for this multipurpose Italian-style sauce. Look instead for large salt-packed capers from Pantelleria.
- 1⁄2 cup capers
- 3 large fresh tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 anchovy filets, minced
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley or basil, roughly chopped (optional)
- Soak capers in water for 15 minutes, changing water once or twice. Rinse well, roughly chop, and place in a large bowl.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, anchovies, and olive oil. Mix together and season to taste with pepper. Let stand for at least 1 hour to allow flavors to develop.
- Discard garlic. If desired, add parsley or basil. Serve on hot pasta, toasted Italian bread, grilled fish, or vegetables. (Sauce becomes saltier if left overnight.)