This rosy-hued champagne cocktail makes the most of rhubarb season.
Yield: makes 1 Cocktail
For the Rhubarb Syrup
- 1 1⁄2 lb. rhubarb, stalks cut in half lengthwise and sliced into 1/2" pieces (to yield about 6 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup ginger beer
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 8 cardamom seeds, crushed
- 1 vanilla bean (about 3-4" long), seeds and pod
For the Cocktail
- 1 oz. rhubarb syrup
- 4 oz. brut champagne or sparkling wine
- Make the rhubarb syrup: Combine the rhubarb, ginger beer, and sugar in a small sauce pan. Simmer until the rhubarb the rhubarb is pulp and the liquid has been reduced by half. Add the cardamom seeds and vanilla bean and let steep for 30 minutes. Strain and cool. Makes about 1⁄2 cup of syrup, which will keep, refrigerated, for 2-3 weeks.
- Pour 1 oz. rhubarb syrup into a chilled Champagne flute and top with Champagne.