This classic taverna dish pairs sweet roasted beets with a garlicky skordalia made with potatoes and walnuts.
- 4 medium red beets (about 1½ lbs.) trimmed and cleaned
- 10 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup finely ground toasted walnuts
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed and minced into a paste
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ squares and boiled until tender
- Heat oven to 425°. Put beets in an 8″ x 8″ baking dish and drizzle with 2 tbsp. oil. Season with salt and pepper and pour in 1 cup water. Cover pan tightly with foil and crimp edges to form a seal. Bake beets until a knife inserted into beet slides easily into the center, about 1 hour. Transfer pan to a rack, carefully uncover, and let cool for 30 minutes. Peel beets and cut into 1″–2″ pieces; set aside.
- Put walnuts, vinegar, garlic, and potatoes into a medium bowl and mash potatoes until smooth. Vigorously stir in remaining oil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer beets to plates and serve with some of the skordalia spread on the side.