Peloponnese home cook Maria Xerakia gave us this recipe for roasted summer vegetables, which pairs well with roasted lamb.
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, cut crosswise into 1⁄4" slices
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 small eggplants, cut crosswise into 1⁄2" pieces
- 2 small zucchini, cut crosswise into 1⁄2" pieces
- 1 medium white onion, cut into eighths
Heat oven to 450°. Toss together 1⁄4 cup oil and potatoes in a bowl; season with salt and pepper. Transfer potatoes to 4-qt. roasting pan. Bake, tossing occasionally, for 15 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine remaining oil, tomatoes, oregano, garlic, eggplant, zucchini, and onions; season with salt and pepper. Add vegetables to pan and bake, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, about 50 minutes.