This bright, slightly spicy salad is great served alongside roasted chicken. This recipe first appeared in our October 2011 issue along with Katie Robbins’s story Season of Rejoicing.
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1⁄4 tsp. cayenne
- 2 (15-oz.) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Using a knife, scrape and mash salt and garlic into a smooth paste; transfer to bowl and stir in oil, parsley, juice, cumin, cayenne, chickpeas, shallots, and pepper.