Sandy's Baked Beans
These baked beans are given a little something extra to liven the flavor — sweet pickle juice.
Yield: serves 8-10
- 2 28-oz. cans pork and beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup yellow mustard
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup juice from a jar of sweet dill pickles
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 strips bacon, halved crosswise
- Preheat oven to 400°. Put the pork and beans, brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, molasses, and pickle juice into a large ovenproof pot or bean pot and stir well to combine.
- Top the bean mixture with onion slices and lay the bacon over the top in a single layer. Bake, uncovered, until the bacon is crisp and the beans are hot and bubbling, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Stir the onions and bacon into the beans before serving.