Shredded Beef with Lime and Avocado (Salpicón)
Slow-cooked, extra-tender shredded beef brisket is tossed with lime, chiles, herbs, and cheese for an incredible taco filling.
Yield: serves 12
- 2 lb. flat-cut beef brisket, trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 lb. jack cheese, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp. chopped canned chipotle chiles en adobo
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- Warmed corn tortillas, for serving
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- Sweet paprika, to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring the beef, garlic, bay leaves, onions, salt, and 6 cups water to a boil in a 6-qt. dutch oven. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until the brisket is tender, about 3 hours.
- Remove pot from heat and let brisket cool, uncovered. Transfer brisket to a cutting board; shred with your fingers. Roughly chop meat; transfer to a bowl. Mix in the cheese, lime juice, cilantro, chipotles, scallions, and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the salpicón wrapped in tortillas and topped with paprika and avocado slices.