Smashed Cucumbers with Ginger
This easily made pickle is a great side dish for both Asian and Western courses.
Yield: serves 4
- 4 kirby cucumbers
- Kosher salt
- 1 (1") piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- Cut cucumbers into irregular chunks about 2" long and ¼" thick. Transfer cucumber slices to a medium bowl, sprinkle with 2 tsp. of kosher salt, mix, and set aside at room temperature to extract excess liquid and let them soften, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, julienne ginger; transfer to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Drain and gently squeeze cucumbers to extract more liquid, then pat dry with a towel. Add cucumbers to the bowl of ginger along with sugar, vinegar, sesame oil, and garlic. Toss to combine and season with kosher salt, to taste.
- Let rest at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to come together.