This hearty version of San Francisco’s signature seafood soup comes from Sotto Mare in North Beach. This recipe first appeared in our December 2011 issue along with the special feature Italian America.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups fish stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole peeled tomatoes in juice, crushed
- 10 leaves basil
- 1 lb. cod, cut into 2″ chunks
- 1 lb. cleaned calamari, bodies cut into 1/2″-wide rings
- 12 oz. medium shrimp, deveined
- 12 oz. bay scallops
- 16 clams, cleaned
- 16 mussels, cleaned
- 2 (2-lb.) Dungeness crabs or snow crab legs, halved
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in an 8-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chile flakes and garlic; cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add stock, tomatoes, and basil; boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Add cod, calamari, shrimp, scallops, clams, mussels, and crabs, cover with lid, and cook until seafood is cooked through, about 8 minutes; season with salt and pepper.