Spiced Apple Strudel
This easy-to-assemble strudel from author Eugenia Bone makes use of preserved spiced apples and store-bought phyllo dough.
Yield: serves 4
- 4 (8 x 11) sheets phyllo dough
- 4 tbsp. melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups spiced apples
- 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. poppy seeds
- Confectioners sugar, to garnish
- Heat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay 1 sheet of phyllo on the parchment. Brush the surface of the phyllo with butter. Then repeat the process with the remaining phyllo, brushing each layer with butter before topping with another sheet.
- Combine bread crumbs and sugar in a small bowl, then sprinkle the mixture over the top phyllo sheet. Gently spread the spiced apples evenly over the bread crumb mixture. Sprinkle 1 tbsp. poppy seeds over the apples. With the short side of the phyllo sheet facing you, grasp the edge of the dough closest to you and gently roll up the dough, tucking in the sides as you near the end. Brush the top of the strudel with remaining butter and sprinkle with the remaining poppy seeds.
- Bake strudel until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to a rack and let cool to room temperature. Dust the strudel with confectioners¡¯ sugar, if you like. To serve, slice into rounds with a serrated knife.