Meaty tomato sauce and gooey mozzarella blanket tender breaded chicken cutlets in this recipe from Omaha’s Piccolo Pete’s. This recipe first appeared in our August/September 2013 Heartland issue with the story Here’s the Beef.
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4 oz. each), pounded 1/4″ thick
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 recipe Piccolo Pete’s marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Heat oil in a 12″ skillet until an instant-read thermometer reads 325°. Working in batches, season chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in eggs and coat in bread crumbs. Fry, flipping once, until golden and cooked through, 5-7 minutes. Transfer chicken to paper towels to drain; season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oven broiler to high. Spread 1⁄2 cup sauce evenly in a 9″ x 13″ baking dish. Arrange chicken over sauce, overlapping slightly. Top with remaining sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and browned, 2-4 minutes.