In this Greek side dish, okra is salted and then tossed in a lemon juice-water mixture that prevents the vegetable from taking on a gummy texture as it simmers in a rich olive oil and tomato sauce.
- 1 lb. okra
- 2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 (28-oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes, pureed with their liquid
- 5 tbsp. minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 tsp. sugar
- 3 thin lemon slices, rind removed
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Trim stems from okra without puncturing pods; rub cut ends with 2 tsp. salt and transfer okra to a strainer. Let sit for 30 minutes. Put 3 cups water and 1 tbsp. lemon juice into a bowl, add okra, and stir; drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium heat. Add onions; cook, until soft and golden, about 6 minutes. Add pureed tomatoes, parsley, sugar, and lemon slices. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes. Add reserved okra; stir gently. Top okra with tomato slices and cook, covered, stirring, until tender, 15-20 minutes. Season okra with salt and pepper.