Canning allows you to enjoy of the flavors of summer all winter long.
Yield: makes 2 Quarts
- 8 boiling onions, peeled
- 2 tbsp. coarse kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 qt. cider vinegar
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 6 allspice berries
- 12-16 plum tomatoes, peeled
- Place onions in a medium bowl, sprinkle with salt, and add cold water to cover. Allow to stand 12–18 hours in the refrigerator. Drain onions and rinse.
- Combine sugar and vinegar in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring until sugar has dissolved, about 3 minutes. Add onions and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove onions from vinegar mixture and divide onions, parsley, and allspice between 2 hot, sterilized quart canning jars. Pack in tomatoes and add hot vinegar mixture to cover, leaving 1” of headspace from top rim of jar. Place lids on jars and screw on bands. Process 15 minutes in a boiling water bath. Allow jars to cool. Store in a cool, dark place for up to 1 year.