Whole wheat pastry flour makes for a smooth, fluffy pancake, but if you want a heartier texture, use regular whole wheat and mix in ¼ cup instant oats.
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 medium very ripe banana, mashed (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 egg
- Sliced bananas and chocolate syrup, for serving
- Whisk flour, cocoa, soda, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl; set aside. Whisk sugar, 1 tbsp. butter, vanilla, milk, banana, and egg in another bowl until smooth. Slowly add dry ingredients to banana mixture, whisking until smooth. Heat a 12″ nonstick skillet over medium heat; brush with melted butter. Working in batches, ladle about 1⁄4 cup of the batter for each pancake into skillet. Cook until bubbles form on tops of pancakes, 2-3 minutes. Flip pancakes and continue cooking until center is cooked through, about 2 minutes more. Serve with sliced bananas and drizzle with chocolate syrup.