Sweets for the sweet, and a decadent end to a meal, this rich chocolate sauce is perfect drizzled over cake or ice cream—or, in Willy Wonka’s case, used to captivate his audience.
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 8 tbsp. butter
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- Heat half-and-half and sugar together in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add chocolates and butter and whisk until smooth. Set aside to let cool briefly.
- Stir in egg yolks and cook over low heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Set aside to let cool slightly. Serve over cake or ice cream, if you like.