New York Sour
Just a few ingredients add up to a complex whole in this Gilded Age cocktail, an ideal vehicle for a rich VSOP cognac. This recipe first appeared in the 2012 SAVEUR 100, with the article Cognac Cocktails.
- 2 oz. cognac, such as Pierre Ferrand Ambre, Rémy
- Martin VSOP, or Hennessy Black
- 3⁄4 oz. fresh orange juice
- 3⁄4 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. superfine sugar
- 1⁄2 oz. dry red wine
- Shake cognac, juices, and sugar in a cocktail shaker filled with ice until chilled, about 15 seconds. Strain into a chilled champagne coupe. Gently pour wine over the back of a spoon set on the surface of the liquid so that the wine floats at the top of the glass.