Pecans, chicken livers, and vegetables add layers of flavor to wild rice in this recipe from pastry chef Ben Mims, which first appeared in our November 2013 issue with Wendell Brock’s story Southern Belle.
- 2 chicken livers
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced white button mushrooms
- 1 small green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecans
- 3⁄4 cup wild rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Heat oven to 350°. Boil livers and 2 cups water in a 4-qt. saucepan until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain livers, discarding water, and let cool; mash with a fork until smooth. Wipe pan dry and melt butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring, until golden, 13–15 minutes. Add half the pecans, plus livers and rice; stir to coat in butter. Add stock and bring to a boil; cover and transfer to oven. Bake until rice is tender, 1–1½ hours. Remove from oven, uncover, and stir in remaining pecans and the cream; let sit for 5 minutes before serving.