Pecans, chicken livers, and vegetables add layers of flavor to wild rice in this recipe from pastry chef Ben Mims.
Yield: serves 6
- 2 chicken livers
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced white button mushrooms
- 1 small green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecans
- 3⁄4 cup wild rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Heat oven to 350°. Boil livers and 2 cups water in a 4-qt. saucepan until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain livers, discarding water, and let cool; mash with a fork until smooth. Wipe pan dry and melt butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring, until golden, 13–15 minutes. Add half the pecans, plus livers and rice; stir to coat in butter. Add stock and bring to a boil; cover and transfer to oven. Bake until rice is tender, 1–1½ hours. Remove from oven, uncover, and stir in remaining pecans and the cream; let sit for 5 minutes before serving.