In these luscious cookies from cookbook author Leah Koenig, the traditional shredded coconut macaroon gets hit with a double dose of chocolate: cocoa powder and semisweet chocolate chips.
- 2 1⁄4 cups shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 325°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Combine coconut, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, salt, and egg whites in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-low heat; cook, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened and sticky, 5–6 minutes. Transfer mixture to a bowl and let cool, uncovered, for 20 minutes; stir in chocolate chips and set mixture aside.
- Using a tablespoon, portion and roll mixture into balls and place 1″ apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake, rotating the pans halfway through, until macaroons are just set, about 20 minutes. (Be careful not to over-bake as cookies will firm up as they cool). Transfer to a wire rack to cool and store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.