This moist cake soaked with citrus-infused syrup gets its nutty flavor and hearty texture from a blend of almond flour and coarsely ground yellow cornmeal.
- Butter, for greasing
- 3⁄4 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 tsp. orange zest, plus 1/3 cup fresh juice with pulp
- 2 tsp. pink or red grapefruit zest, plus 1/4 cup fresh juice with pulp
- 2⁄3 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup brown rice flour
- 1⁄3 cup almond flour
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely ground yellow cornmeal, preferably Bob’s Red Mill
- 1⁄4 cup potato starch
- 2 tbsp. tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground mace
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- Heat oven to 350°. Butter an 8” springform pan and set aside. Bring 1⁄3 cup sugar and the water to a boil in a 1-qt. saucepan; cook until sugar is dissolved, 1-2 minutes. Stir in half each orange and grapefruit zest, and 2 tbsp. each orange and grapefruit juices; set syrup aside.
- Whisk remaining sugar, zest and juices, plus yogurt, oil, and egg in a bowl until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk rice and almond flours, cornmeal, potato and tapioca starches, baking powder, mace, and salt until combined; make a well in the center. Whisk in yogurt mixture until a smooth batter forms. Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle with sliced almonds. Bake until cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached, 45-50 minutes. Using a toothpick, poke holes all over top of cake and drizzle with syrup. Let cool completely before serving.