Fresh goat cheese makes a creamy, velvety sauce for pasta baked with spinach and topped with sliced tomatoes.
- 8 oz. hollow pasta, preferably elbow macaroni
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups goat cheese
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Heat oven to 375°. Bring a 4-qt. saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked halfway through, about 3 minutes.
- Melt butter in a 4-qt. saucepan set over medium heat. Add flour and stir until mixture thickens, 1 minute. Whisk in milk and cook, continuing to whisk often, until sauce has thickened and coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Stir in 1 1⁄2 cups goat cheese and spinach; add pasta and season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to an 8” x 8” baking dish. Layer tomato slices on top of pasta and sprinkle remaining goat cheese on top.
- Transfer baking dish to a baking sheet and bake until macaroni and cheese is golden brown and bubbly, 45 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.