This fragrant sauce is a bright accent to briny oysters, but it’s also delicious with clams, steamed crab legs, and shrimp. This recipe first appeared in our December 2014 issue with the story Down Home In Georgia.
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1 cup dry sparkling wine
- 2 tbsp. minced mint
- 1⁄2 tsp. fleur de sel or kosher salt
- 2 (1″) strips orange zest, thinly sliced crosswise
- Oysters on the half shell, for serving
- Bring vinegar, sugar, onion, and 1⁄4 cup water to a simmer in a 10″ skillet over medium. Cook until liquid is evaporated and the onion is caramelized, 20–25 minutes; transfer to a bowl and let cool. Stir in wine, mint, fleur de sel, and orange zest. Serve with oysters.