Bring a little taste of Mexico to your dinner table tonight. This festive recipe provided by Nielsen-Massey Vanillas, makes authentic easier than ever.
Pork Carnitas with Pico de Gallo [sponsored]
Pork Carnitas with Pico de Gallo presented by Nielsen-Massey.
Yield: serves 8-10
- 4-5 lb. pork shoulder
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 (13.66-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk (shake can before opening)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. natural hickory liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. organic garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ground oregano
- 1 tsp. Nielsen-Massey Pure Orange Extract
- 1 package corn tortillas
- Spray a 6-quart-oval slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Cut pork into 4-5 pieces. Add oil to a large cast iron skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Sear pork pieces until nicely browned on all sides, then place in slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients and pour over pork. Cover and cook on high until meat is fork tender, about 5-6 hours.
- Carefully remove pork from cooker and place on a large rimmed baking sheet. Strain juices and place back in slow cooker. Use 2 forks and pull pork apart into small pieces and place back in slow cooker with juices. Warm tortillas according to package directions.
Pico de Gallo
- 1 lime, freshly squeezed
- 1⁄2 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. Nielsen-Massey Mexican Pure Vanilla Extract
- 5 Roma tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup chopped cilantro
- In a small bowl, add lime juice, sugar, salt and vanilla extract; stir to combine and set aside. Prepare remaining ingredients and add to a medium bowl. Add lime mixture and stir to coat; cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Top each carnita with 1-2 tablespoons of Pico de Gallo.