A chunky cashew pesto made with sharp, pungent Västerbotten cheese is tossed with chopped arugula to yield an unctuous salad with a robust umami flavor. Swedish home cook Asa Johanson prepared this nut-enriched side dish for her Midsummer celebration in Vickleby, Sweden. It first appeared in the tablet edition of our June/July 2014 issue with Per Styregard’s story A Midsummer’s Dream.
- 1⁄2 cup grated Swedish Västerbotten cheese
- 1⁄3 cup cashews, lightly toasted
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 8 oz. baby arugula, roughly chopped
- Pulse cheese, cashews, garlic, salt, and pepper in a food processor until roughly chopped. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in oils until just combined; transfer to a bowl and fold in arugula.