Tagliatelle with Black Truffle Cream Sauce
For this luxurious dish, chef Robin Jackson, of Knight Inlet Lodge in British Columbia, lavishes pasta in a truffle-infused cream sauce and crowns it with chanterelles, lavender, pecorino, and shavings of truffle, which release their seductive aroma in the steam. This recipe first appeared in our December 2014 issue with the story In Truffles We Trust.
- 1 (1-oz.) black truffle, preferably from Oregon
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 oz. chanterelle mushrooms, halved
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp. minced thyme
- 1 lb. dried tagliatelle
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan
- 1⁄4 tsp. dried lavender
- 3 oz. watercress, trimmed
- Grated Pecorino Romano, for garnish
- Mince one-third of truffle; stir into cream. Cover and chill 6 hours.
- Melt butter in a 12″ skillet over medium-high. Cook mushrooms and garlic until golden, 6-8 minutes. Add wine and thyme; cook 8 minutes. Add reserved truffle cream; simmer until thickened, 10-12 minutes. Cook tagliatelle in salted boiling water until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain pasta; add to skillet. Add parmesan, lavender, salt, and pepper; toss to coat. Garnish with watercress and Pecorino Romano; shave remaining truffle over the top.