Roasting beets and puréeing them with a little balsamic vinegar makes a sweet, earthy spread that’s a perfect base for slices of smoked salmon and peppery watercress.
- 2 large roasted red beets (3/4 lb.)
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 oz. smoked salmon
- Ciabatta toast points, for serving
- 1 bunch watercress, leaves picked, for garnish
- Puree beets, balsamic, salt, and pepper in a food processor until smooth; set aside. To serve, place salmon and beet purée on toast and garnish with watercress.