Grated cucumber marries with chopped herbs and aromatics in this iconic Greek yogurt condiment, great as a dip or served alongside meat or vegetables. This recipe first appeared in our March 2014 issue with the story Milk’s Finest Hour.
- 1⁄2 large English cucumber, peeled
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 cups plain full-fat Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped dill
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped mint
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed into a paste
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Paprika, for garnish
- Grate cucumber using the large holes of a box grater; transfer to a fine-mesh strainer set over a bowl. Toss cucumber with 1 tbsp. salt; let sit 10 minutes. Squeeze excess water from cucumber and transfer to a bowl. Stir in yogurt, dill, mint, lemon juice, garlic paste, shallot, salt, and pepper; drizzle with oil and sprinkle with paprika to garnish.Grated cucumber marries with chopped herbs and aromatics in this iconic Greek yogurt condiment.