Floral Old Fashioned
Cameron Johnston of Gleneagles Hotel designed this cocktail to appeal to those who don’t usually go for a Scotch drink; chamomile syrup and Dalwhinnie 15 combine for a delicate cocktail with a still-smoky finish.
Featured in: 21 Cocktails for our 21st Birthday
For the Chamomile Syrup
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. dried chamomile flowers
For the Cocktail
- 2 oz. Speyside single-malt Scotch, preferably Dalwhinnie 15 Year
- 1⁄2 oz. chamomile syrup
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- Edible flowers and lemon twist, for garnish
- To make the syrup, combine sugar, chamomile, and 1⁄4 cup water in a 1-qt. saucepan over medium-high; stir until sugar has dissolved, about 3 minutes. Cool, then strain, discarding flowers.
- To make the cocktail, combine Dalwhinnie 15, syrup, and bitters in a cocktail shaker filled with ice; stir, then strain into a rocks glass filled with ice. Garnish with edible flowers and lemon twist.