Freekeh—sun-dried and roasted unripe wheat berries—is a popular grain in Mediterranean cuisines, and has a mildly smoky flavor and pleasant chew. Here, chef Mehmet Gürs of Istanbul's Mikla cooks it pilaf-style and spices it with sumac, a bright red spice that lends color and a lemony zing to anything it hits.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole (not cracked) freekah
- 2⁄3 cup canned tomato purée
- 2 vine-ripe tomatoes, cored, peeled, and finely chopped
- 1 tsp. sumac, plus more to garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper