Marinated Celery and Avocado Salad
Crisp celery and radishes are lightly pickled in lemon juice in this salad from chef Juan Pablo Mellado Arana of Las Cabras in Santiago, which makes a perfect addition to any heavy Chilean meal.
Featured in: All Eyes on Santiago
- 6 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices, leaves reserved
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- In a medium bowl of ice water, soak the sliced celery and radishes for 10 minutes. Drain and return the vegetables to the bowl and season with salt and pepper. Pour the lemon juice over the vegetables and toss to combine. Let the vegetables stand for 10 minutes to marinate in the juice.
- Add the oil to the vegetables and toss to coat. Cut each avocado half into 4 wedges and then gently toss with the celery and radishes. Transfer the salad to a platter and sprinkle with the olives and celery leaves before serving.