This classic, crispy potato latkes recipe comes to us from New York City’s beloved appetizing store, Zabar’s. Don't overmix your batter and remember: The thinner the latke, the crisper the fry. Adjust the thickness of your potato pancakes to your own preference by using the back of a fork to press them down directly into the hot oil.
This latkes recipe is adapted from the new book Zabar's: A Family Story, with Recipes, by Lori Zabar, published by Shocken. Text © 2022 Lori Zabar.
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and cut into quarters (about 10 oz.)
- 4 medium Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into eighths (about TK lb.)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼–½ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Applesauce or sour cream for serving