These spicy Black Beans go great with Fish Tacos.
Yield: serves 8-10
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 lb. dried black beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 jalapeño pepper, sliced in half
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Minced white onion, for garnish
- Queso fresco, crumbled, for garnish
- In a 4-qt. saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook until the soft, about 6 minutes. Add beans, jalapeño, and bay leaf and cover with water by 1″, about 5 cups. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Cook for 1 hour, until beans are tender. Remove bay leaf and discard. Place about 1 cup beans in a bowl and mash with a fork; return to pot and season with salt and pepper. Serve with onions and cheese.