At his restaurant, Mikla, in Istanbul, chef Mehmet Gürs opts for foraged, wild greens when possible—in the case of this side dish, usually wild cabbage. We substitute Swiss chard, but you can also use bok choy, kale, or even green or purple cabbage, cored and cut into 1-inch-thick wedges.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 lb. (2 bunches) Swiss chard, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 2 large shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp. sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper