Celebrate Pi Day With, Yes, Pie
As someone who is both a food geek and an actual geek — a sci-fi-watching, Betrand Russell-loving, video game-playing straight-up nerd — my little heart nearly bursts with happiness each March 14. It's 3/14, Pi Day, the day when we celebrate the magical mathematical constant that reflects the ratio between a circle's circumference and diameter. It's pure punning synchronicity that pies, whose name has nothing to do with the Greek letter π, happen to be circles; they're the perfect vehicle for celebrating 3.14159265. (If you're curious about the volume of your slice, you can find the formula here, though you're on your own with the math.)
• Make a perfect pie crust by keeping your butter cold and working quickly.
• Learn how to basketweave a pretty pie top with a simple back-and-forth folding technique.
• Take your pick of summer's best fruit pies, including strawberry and ginger-peach.
• Get nostalgic for fall with great autumnal pies like pumpkin and pecan.
• Make a whole meal out of pie with a dozen great savory versions, from Chicken Pot Pie to hand-held pasties.
MORE TO READ
The New Stephen King Cookbook Is as Spooky as it Sounds
Cook your way through some of the horror author’s most blood-curdling stories, from Carrie to Cujo.
Cultural Calendar: Where to Go and What to Cook in October
From a festival celebrating the world’s most expensive spice to a plant-based extravaganza in Thailand, here’s what our editors are digging into this month.