This relish is adapted from a recipe in Thai Street Food (Ten Speed Press, 2010) by David Thompson. This recipe first appeared in our May 2011 issue, with the article The World of Satay.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 1⁄4 fresno chile, finely chopped
- 4 small shallots, sliced thin
- 1 small cucumber, quartered lengthwise, sliced thin
- Stir sugar, vinegar, salt, and 1⁄4 cup boiling water in a bowl; let cool. Stir in cilantro, chile, shallots, and cucumber before serving.