- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp. crushed anise seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Coarse sanding sugar, to decorate
- Heat oven to 400°. Beat sugar and butter on medium-high speed of a hand mixer until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla and yolks; beat until smooth. Add flour, anise, and salt; beat until just combined. Pinch off 1-tbsp.-sized pieces of dough, roll each into a cylinder; bend to form a crescent. Place 2″ apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Brush with egg white, and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake until browned, 12-15 minutes.
NOTE: This recipe has been adjusted from the version that ran in the print edition of SAVEUR. The quantity of sugar has been increased by ¼ cup, the eggs have been adjusted from 2 yolks to 2 whole eggs, the size of the cookies have been decreased, and the baking time has been increased.