Artichoke and Lamb Stew
This flavorful stew intricately melds rich meat, delicate artichoke hearts, and Middle Eastern spices.
Yield: serves 4
- 6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 raw artichoke hearts, halved
- 1 (2-lb.) piece boneless leg of lamb, cut into 1" pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp. Syrian Spice Mix (Baharat)
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add artichokes and cook, turning once, until lightly browned, 3–5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Season lamb with salt and pepper. In the same pot, brown lamb on all sides, in batches if necessary, turning the meat occasionally, for 4–6 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add onions and spice mix to pot and cook, stirring frequently, until onions and spices are fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add lamb and 3 cups water. Season to taste with salt, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until meat is tender, 1 1⁄2–2 hours. Increase heat to medium, add artichokes, and cook uncovered until stew thickens, about 45 minutes. Serve garnished with mint.