Bœuf à la Bourguignonne (Beef Stew Burgundy-Style)
This is a classic, hearty stew, made rich with a good bottle of burgundy wine.
Yield: serves 4-6
For the Bouquet Garni
- 1 (6" piece) from green part of a leek
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 peppercorns
For the Main Dish
- 3 lb. beef chuck, cut into large pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 bouquet garni (see below)
- 1 bottle good red burgundy
- 6 oz. lean salt pork, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 lb. small white button mushrooms, stems trimmed and caps peeled
- Make the bouquet garni by wrapping leek, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, and peppercorns in a square piece of cheesecloth, then tying into a pouch with kitchen string.
- Put beef, onions, carrots, garlic, and bouquet garni in a large bowl and add wine. Using your hands, mix all the ingredients together, then cover bowl with plastic and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Remove beef from marinade, reserving marinade, and dry well on paper towels. Fry salt pork in a large pot over medium heat until crisp, about 7 minutes. Season beef with salt and pepper to taste. Add to pot and brown on all sides, about 7 minutes. Sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Add marinade and 2 cups water and bring to a boil over high heat, scraping up brown bits. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until meat is tender, about 3 hours. Add mushrooms and cook for 30 minutes more. Remove bouquet garni before serving.