Cabbage and Noodles (Krautfleckerln)
Square egg noodles, called fleckerln, an Austrian favorite, are the basis of this dish.
Yield: serves 6
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, cored
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb. wide egg noodles
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, thinly slice onion and set aside. Thinly slice cabbage and set aside.
- Melt butter and oil together in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 6-8 minutes. Add cabbage, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until cabbage begins to brown, 5-8 minutes.
- Cook noodles in boiling water until just cooked through, 6-8 minutes. Drain noodles, add to skillet with cabbage, and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes more. Adjust seasonings.