Cajun Shrimp Salad
This seafood salad, from Alexander Hoover of Hoover’s Cooking restaurant in Austin, is made with grilled or smoked shrimp and a spicy cream cheese dressing. This recipe first appeared in our April 2011 special Sandwich Issue with the article Salad Days.
- 2 1⁄2 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1 tbsp. plus 1 1/2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
- 6 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- Combine shrimp, dressing, and 1 tbsp. Cajun seasoning in a medium bowl; set aside. Heat a large grill pan over medium-high heat, and add shrimp; cook, turning once, until just cooked, 3–4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Stir cream cheese and mayonnaise in a large bowl until smooth. Add remaining Cajun seasoning, celery, scallions, lemon juice, and parsley, and stir until combined. Add shrimp, and toss to coat. Serve chilled or at room temperature.