Roasted Artichokes (Carciofi Arrostiti)
Though traditionally cooked in embers, these artichokes are equally as succulent when oven-roasted.
Find this recipe in our cookbook, SAVEUR: Italian Comfort Food
Carciofi Arrostiti (Roasted Artichokes)
Though traditionally cooked in embers, these artichokes are equally as succulent when oven-roasted
Yield: serves 8
Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine
- 2 tbsp. dried oregano
- 2–3 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 12 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 globe artichokes, stemmed**
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 500°. In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, wine, oregano, chile flakes, garlic, and salt and pepper; set aside. Cut 1″ off top of each artichoke and gently pull leaves apart to open artichokes. Place them, standing up on their bases, in a small roasting pan or dish large enough to hold them in one layer. Pour oil mixture over each artichoke, making sure it reaches in between all leaves. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover, and bake, basting often with juices, until browned and tender, about 30 minutes more. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving warm with pan juices.