Bartender Phil Ward, of Mayahuel in New York City, developed this cardamom-spiked cocktail to pair with white rum.
Yield: makes 1 Cocktail
- 6 pods green cardamom
- 4 white sugar cubes
- 2 oz. club soda
- 1 oz. fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 oz. white rum, preferably Flor de Cana four-year-old rum
- 1 thin wedge grapefruit, for garnish
- Put cardamom, sugar, and 1 oz. club soda into a cocktail shaker. Using a muddler or a wooden spoon, muddle the mixture until the sugar is dissolved and the cardamom pods are slightly crushed.
- Add 1 cup ice, grapefruit juice, and rum and stir for 15 seconds. Strain cocktail into a highball glass filled with ice and top with remaining club soda. Garnish with grapefruit wedge.