Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pie
Chocolate pudding is layered with a peanut butter mousse in this pie inspired from Bradley's Corner Cafe in Topeka, Kansas. This recipe first appeared in our Jan/Feb 2013 issue along with Kerri Conan's article Bradley's Corner Cafe.
Yield: serves 8
- 1 <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>2</sub> cups flour
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 4 tsp. vanilla extract
- <sup>3</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> cup smooth peanut butter
- 8 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> cup cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- Heat oven to 425°. Pulse flour, 6 tbsp. butter, and 1⁄2 tsp. salt in a food processor into pea-size crumbles. Add 1⁄4 cup ice-cold water; pulse into a dough. Form into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap; chill for 1 hour. Roll dough 1⁄8" thick on a floured surface. Transfer to a 9" pie plate, trim edges, prick with a fork. Cover with parchment; fill with dried beans. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove paper and beans; bake until golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Let cool.
- Whisk together cream, sugar, and 1 tsp. vanilla to stiff peaks; set aside. Place peanut butter and chocolate in separate bowls. In a 4-qt. saucepan, whisk together remaining salt, brown sugar, cornstarch, yolks, and milk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook until custard thickens, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in remaining butter and vanilla. Strain through a sieve, and divide custard evenly between peanut butter and chocolate; whisk each until smooth. Fold half the whipped cream into the peanut butter, and spread evenly in pie crust; chill 20 minutes. Spread chocolate over top; chill until set, at least 45 minutes. Spread remaining whipped cream over pie.
MORE TO READ
Our Best Pumpkin Recipes Celebrate the Flavor of Fall
Think outside the pie this autumn with these craveable cooking ideas from around the globe.
Don’t Fear the Dinner Party: Toasting Romy Gill’s Cookbook from Home
Recipes, tricks, and tips for hosting a Himalayan-inspired vegetarian feast.